Answered By: Ben Aloe
Last Updated: Sep 22, 2022     Views: 217

Some library films are purchased with public performance rights (PPR). For example, films in our Films on Demand, AVON, and Feature Films for Education databases include PPR, as well as some films in Kanopy that are marked with a "PPR" tag.  Titles from these collections can be shown in the classroom, screened on campus, or embedded within a Canvas course.

To find out if the library has public performance rights to the film you want to show, please contact a PC librarian at

If we don't have performance rights, you must contact the copyright holder to obtain them. Individuals and organizations are responsible for obtaining performance rights for library-owned films.


Copyright Licensing Agents

Broadcast Music, Inc represents over 350,000 creators of music, the songwriters, composers and publishers of more than 6.5 million musical works

American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) licenses the right to perform songs and musical works created and owned by the songwriters, composers, lyricists and music publishers who are ASCAP members and also those members of foreign performing rights organizations who are represented by ASCAP in the United States.

Criterion Pictures USA is one of the largest non-theatrical providers of feature films in North America. In the United States, Criterion has exclusive relationships with some of Hollywood's largest film Studios, such as Paramount Pictures (select titles only), 20th Century Fox, Fox SearchLight, DreamWorks Animation, Troma Films, New Concorde, among others.

Swank Motion Pictures, Inc., founded in 1937, is the major non-theatrical movie distributor and public performance licensing agent in venues where feature movies are shown publicly.

Motion Picture Licensing Corporation is an independent copyright licensing agency that provides the Umbrella License to ensure copyright compliance for the public performance of motion pictures.

Find Copyright Holders

Related Articles